The UK has around six million CCTV cameras, with at least 500,000 of them located in London, making us one of the most-watched cities in the world. The question is, are all those cameras making us any safer?
In many cases, the answer is no. While moSmart CCTV: Could Your CCTV Cameras be Working Harder?monitoring exits using cameras acts as a deterrent and enables breaches in security to be identified, in many cases, cameras are not monitored 24/7 and do not trigger other measures that could prevent security from being compromised.
However, where technology is fully leveraged and CCTV cameras are integrated with other technologies, CCTV cameras can sit at the heart of a security installation that can make an environment both safer and more secure.
Integration & Smart CCTV Technology
Integration and smart technology have become the cornerstone of safety and security solutions that genuinely meet the needs of occupiers and are flexible enough to adapt when those needs – or the occupiers – change. At WLS, our remit as security specialists has evolved, with integration and programming now forming an important part of the turnkey service we offer in specifying, installing and maintaining security systems.
Understanding the User
So, what does all that mean in practice for smart CCTV? For WLS it means ensuring a thorough understanding of the building’s layout, who will be using it, how they will use it and where their security vulnerabilities lie.
From here, we not only specify the right combination of technologies, but we can also integrate and program them in a way that considers risk and creates cause and effect scenarios for triggering different elements of the security installation, depending on the event. We can even integrate the smart CCTV or security installation with other building services elements, such as the lighting, lifts, AOVs and plant, via the BMS, to ensure that the building responds holistically to protect occupiers in the event of a fire or intruder and to protect assets in the event of a breach of security protocol.
Making Technology Work Harder
Individual fire and security technologies are becoming more advanced all the time, but it’s only through the integration of different systems that we can really leverage the value of each one as part of a complete, user-focused solution.
Enjoyed this blog on smart CCTV? Want to learn more? We recommend:
- Driveway gate designs: Stylish and automatic.
- What is a smart building?
- What alternatives are there to keypads or basic intercom systems?
- How are door entry systems and biometrics linked?
- Where can I get some good looking but secure gates for my home?
- People are shopping closer to home, but why?
- How to tackle fire in South London.
- Why do I need security gates?
- Stay secure and maximise space.
- Living in the South East? Boy, have we got the gates for you.
- Trust the professionals to transform your home in more ways than one.
- Sliding or bi-fold? Metal or timber? The choice is yours.
- Keep your home smart and secure.
- Electronic Security Systems: What Does Smart Technology Mean for the Security Sector?
- Cancer Research: WLS Engineer Picks up the Pace For Brighton Marathon
- The One Simple Thing You Can Do to Maximise Fire Safety